My Awesome First Job: Working in a Tech Startup, Veritrans Indonesia!

2:43 AM

'ssup!


It's been a while since I posted something in here. Not that I don't have anything to write, but I just can't find the right time. As you can see in my blog title, this blog is dedicated to record my midnight rattle. But since I've got a job, I don't do stay awake till the sun comes anymore hehe.

Hmm a job? Yes, Thank God I got one. I'm very lucky to get a job directly before I graduate. Now I'm working in Veritrans Indonesia, an online payment gateway company. Just open the link if you want to know further, but basically we helps companies who do online business to be able to receive payment from every payment method in Indonesia such as credit card and internet banking (BCA KlikPay, CIMB Clicks, etc). This is a Tech Startup in Jakarta, my office is in Midplaza 2 Building. Actually I've been working here since July 2012 as an intern. So now I just change my status to a full time worker :D


Tech Startup, sounds very geeky right? Indeed, I work with a lot of geeks who do coding, coding, and coding. Is it boring? Not at all! The geeks turns out very fun and brilliant at the same time. Moreover, they are still very young. For me, a person who never involves in this kind of high tech thingy, it is very exciting! I learn a lot of new things. And the best part is, when you work at a startup, you learn to build a business from the beginning. So much different with a job in a big companies, where they already have the business plan settled and you already know the SOP, business flow, etc. In a startup, you'll see how a startup still building hypothesis for their business and do a lot of experiments to prove it. You'll see how dynamic the company must be to adjust and tuning the "engine" to match with the industry. How they're still do research on their product, customers, and market. If you have a high entrepreneurial spirit (which I don't :p), you'll love it more. My boss, Ryu Kawano said, "Join a Startup to Learn How to Start One". And yes, by working in here, I learn how hard is it to build a business from zero and what problems might appears in a business. 

Other than that, I can go to work with jeans, shirt, and sandal everyday! No suit and tie for men! No formal business attire! You have no idea how much I love this culture in a company! It makes me more relax and comfortable at work, so I never be a person who always looking at my watch because I want to go home immediately. No, I love staying at the office. I stay till late not because I was forced to do so, but because I want to. And my working hour is flexible!

But it's not all nice. The thing with working in eCommerce industry is, you work 24/7. Sometimes I'm working from home on weekend or in a middle of a night. And also, as I mention that Startup still build their business, we face a lot of uncertainty. But that's what a Starup is. As Eric Ries wrote in a very awesome book "Lean Startup", he said that his definition of Starup is "A human institution designed to create something new under conditions of extreme uncertainty".

Wherever you work, there will always be the positive and negative part. It's all back to you to how to take it. How about me? I love my job. I never complaining for working extra hour, even on the weekend. I'm very thankful to be a part of this team. I hope you'll find a workplace which can make you feel the same way as I do :D

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” ― Confucius.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images